Sunday, April 18, 2010

Because I Love You

Because I love you, I am going to tell you how to make the best caramel apple you will ever have in your life. Remember how I told you that I had an apple pie caramel apple from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory? Remember how you drooled and then cursed me from your computer chair? Hate me no more. I present to you, the DIY (recipe) way to make your own.
Here's the very simple rundown. First, (don't laugh) get some sandpaper. No, I'm not kidding. I heard through the insider grapevine that RMCF (rocky mountain chocolate factory) sands their apples so the caramel sticks better. So I tried it. And it works!

Step two: melt some caramels. I used
these kinds. No unwrapping for twenty minutes required. You melt these like the package tells you. Then cover your apples (one bag covers three Granny Smith apples well). Put the apples onto parchment paper and into the freezer until they are not sticky anymore.

I should also point out that while the apples were in the freezer you should mix together a bowl of sugar, cinnamon, brown sugar, a little bit of nutmeg (it doesn't take much) and a tiny tiny bit of cloves (get it, apple pie spices!) Mix it together until it tastes good. That's how I work in my kitchen.
Melt some white chocolate chips. Now I want you to listen carefully. I do NOT like white chocolate. But I love these apples. So trust me on this even if you don't like white chocolate--these are delicious. Okay, whew. Now, melt the white chocolate with a smidge of lard for smoothness. Melt it on low heat. This is important. If your chocolate is too hot it will melt your caramel that is already on your apple.

Take the white chocolate dipped apple and cover it in the sugar spices you previously mixed. Put the apple back on your parchment paper and slide it into the freezer for a few minutes.
Then cut it up and watch while the whole family enjoys (and hides from the camera).



Kisses and wild joy made follow.Cute big eyed babies will stare at you in amazement of your culinary prowess.
General good feeling will be hard to suppress.

Now go, cook, and get addicted likewise. But don't say I didn't warn you.
and a pretty picture of my tulips. Just cause I can.

7 comments:

  1. Jenn!!! I love it!! if you want to melt the chocolate chips faster this is what I do for my strawberries, pour bag in to microwave safe bowl add 2 or 3 tbs of veg oil start microwave for 1 min 20 sec. Every 20 Seconds Stop and Stir well. To me it is faster than the stove! Jenn NOW I want apples darn it LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sure do look tasty! I've gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sanding the apples - that's brilliant! I may have to do this in the very near future.

    Your second post reminded me of the Dr. Suess book Oh The Places You'll Go. Read it lately?

    Oh, yeah; and where are the pictures of the brunette do?

    Where you ask? Sedona!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look good enough to eat! Will have to give these a try after I get my new permanent crown in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn, I appreciate you posting this, but won't you just make me some? Please? They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE these! I'm so glad you made these, I've thought about it but never put the desire into action. They are always the ones I buy at the chocolate factory though. Maybe you can introduce them to the east :) Thanks again! I will enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete

v