Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Randominator Strikes Again

Okay, lots to say, and lots of pictures. Here we go.


So last week my wonderful friend Lindy and I went to her brother's book signing. He wrote a book called The Lonely Polygamist. So we headed out together, ate at Trio (one word, Yummm), and I took a bunch of embarrassing photos. Here's her brother Brady during the reading. Also, I wasn't the only nerd taking pictures. So...okay, I'm still a nerd.
I told Lindy to smile. So she gave me this dapper grin. :)

I posed for my "I'm so literary" moment while waiting in line to get a signed copy of Brady's book.
Brother and sister saying howdy. Kind of cool especially because the book was dedicated to his siblings. I felt privileged to be with one of the dedicatees (I'm sure that's a word somewhere). He also very kindly signed my book and my friend Lori's book.
Then some friends were kind enough to throw me a going away bash. My favorite part besides the wonderful people?

The drinks! Lots of daiquiris and pomegranate martinis and margaritas. All mormon style of course, but I love some fancy virgin drinks. Lori was the queen of the drink making. I really really want a blender just like her's, it was awesome.There were even tiny umbrellas. Did I mention that I have the most awesome friends?

Here I am with the flattering hold-the-camera-with-my-own-hand shot with Kristen.
Haven and Jessica enjoying the umbrellas.


Yes, that's my "silly shot" face. I call it more "scary face."Jackie looking really interested or surprised.


Am I jumping around too much for ya? Good. That's kinda what my life is like right now lol. This is the breakfast in bed that John made for me on mother's day. The best part? The french toast was made out of Kneaders cinnamon bread (just like theirs is) and it was DELICIOUS. Seriously. So good. Notice the cute flower and lovely goblet....and tub of butter. I love my husband--he knows me so well lol.This is a picture of a $1000 Pottery Barn bed that I was obsessed with. I love how the footboard curves at the edge, and I love the scrolly legs and tall headboard. I just love the vintage classic feel of the whole thing. Here in Utah there's a Pottery Barn "outlet" (though it goes by a different name, like downhome outfitters or something). I saw this bed but in creamy white and fell in love hard. The sad part? It was half off, and therefore still 500 bucks. I wanted it sooo bad, but didn't feel right spending that much on a bed. I just resigned myself to never finding one because it was so unique.

Enter KSL (a local version of craigslist). I saw a headboard and footboard for way cheaper than the pottery barn version (even marked half off). I called on it and got it!
See the lovely curved edges? The only sad part? It was caked in black paint (and poorly painted at that). But I was told it was an antique, so I decided to strip the paint. That took FOREVER. I spent hours stripping off the old black sludgey paint and then giving it a once over with mineral spirits to get the remaining sludge off. By then I discovered that it was indeed an antique and made of real (and beautiful wood). I thought about keeping it, but it still looked a little rough from the black paint. Besides, I had a vision.
And so the last couple days have been spent giving this baby three coats of paint and primer. No spray painting for this lovely.
Here's the headboard. Both pieces have scrolly work (you'll see a picture below). So pretty!
I swoon every time over those turned edges and the cute feet.

Here's some of the scrollys I was talking about!
I love it so much. It is a full size bed, so we did have to find a mattress (ksl to the rescue again!). And now I am dreaming about the new bedding I'm going to get Maddy (although I am sad because my Mom just made me the cute umbrella bedding. But I couldn't pass this bed up. And we wanted a bigger bed in her room so we could lay down with her and read her stories at night).
Anyway, here are some that I'm considering. Tell me which one you like.


I like the quilty feel of this one. I think it would make the bed look less princessy, which could be a good thing.
This is from Land of Nod and comes in pink, green, lavender, and this pretty blue.
(That's a picture of it on a bed in pink).
And lastly, the shabby chic princess bedding of all bedding. It's a smocked duvet and would look right at home on the princess nature of the bed.

I'm just not sure which direction I want to go yet. I know...I'm obsessed with beds and bedding. It's my favorite thing to decorate in a house, what can I say.

Okay, so this has been another hodge podge post, brought to you by a scattered-moving-in-less-than-a-week mind. Goodnight!

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe you took on that project when you're prego AND moving! But, you're right. You can't pass that up. I love your vision for it. I'm a damask girl so I like the 2nd one. But they're all really cute.
    And I'm still so sad that I didn't make it to the going away party. Those margaritas look amazing! But at least we went to lunch. That was great.
    No, you're the best! I'll miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOOOOOOOOOKAY. you are INSANE. Seriously. In the best way possible. WHO DOES THAT? Who can redo something that ugly into something SO beautiful? Out of control I tell you!

    I like the last of the bedding. I'm a frilly kind of girl. Maddy is so lucky to have a mom with such a good eye for stuff like this.

    Also, John has an iPad? That is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to go to a book signing, what fun!

    You have such great friends to throw you a party. I'm glad you're going out with a bang!

    The bed! Oh, the bed! Holy find of the year! So this is what has been keeping you so busy. I like print #1. It is so happy and the clolors are so cozy. I'm not crazy about the head pillows though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow and Wow again! You impress me! I love it!!
    Oh ps I know I look freaking hot in the photos you took of me hahahahaa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just caught up on your blog and I am so excited for you. I can't believe you'll be in South Carolina tomorrow and pregnant. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun party :o) You are very fortunate to have such good friends.

    LOVE, love, love the bed!!! I cannot believe your luck!!!!! It's beautiful! Nice job....oh and did I say that I LOVE it??

    ReplyDelete

v