Monday, June 7, 2010

It Has Begun

Potty training that is.

I tried starting Maddy when she was much younger. You might remember my gleeful posts of how she was a potty training prodigy at age 12 months or something like that. And then I ate my every word because she became so ANTI potty that I had to back off for a good long while (and serves me right I'd say. I'm sure some of you knew it would happen, and you were so wise).

Anyway, I was ready to start trying again at our old house, but knew we would be moving and had heard that it was best to wait until after a major change.

So since we only have our one car and I am stranded in the apartment all day, I have been taking the time to train the toddler. It's getting embarassing to take a child that is already extremely tall for her age and try to change her diapers on a changing table meant for newborns in the Target bathrooms. I have gotten so many looks, and every time I wish I could just say, She's only two! (Even though she wears 4T and 5T clothes). Poor Maddy!

So anyway, it has begun. She did well today with just one accident while she was napping. Not sure how to stop that from happening really. Suggestions? This time I will not be bragging about my potty training prodigy. I'm just looking to not change two kids diapers at a time, that's my only goal. Prodigies are for suckers. Or at least for people who aren't cocky and brag about their extreme parenting awesomeness.
p.s. This book has helped a ton. It has stickers that she can put on her own pirate hat for every time she has some success. Gotta love the pirate potty jokes.

4 comments:

  1. ooooooh! Good luck! I hate potty training, but the fact that you had 1 good day helps a ton! I put pull ups on my kiddos for sleeping. I call them night time pants so they're not embarrassed. But Alex was in that until 4 years old, it's totally different from potty trained. Good luck, remember that we love you, and that sometimes you might need a mommy time out with some comfort food... and that's OK :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She will do great! Sarah on Clover Lane just recently posted about potty training. I thought she was spot on with her theories. Maddie will be awesome. Keep pushing the "big girl" message and the fact that she is growing up and can do other big girl things--then find something she hasn't been able to do/have and push that! Good luck! You know, we are only a 6 hour drive from you and we have disney and kids who love to dote on little girls...I am just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how much I hate potty training and I still struggle with accidents with my girls. So I am SO not the right person to give advice. That Pirate book sounds so fun. Maybe I'll give that a try next time around. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you are on your way. The best advice I can give for potty training is to make it fun and never criticize. If they don't want to do it one day, say "that's ok, tell me when you are ready to go again." Some people might not agree with that, but I learned the hard way that children will not do it until they are ready and it may not be all at once. You've heard the term, "baby steps?" Every thing has to click for them though. Anyway, I hope that helps. I miss you terribly. Keep up the wonderful blogging. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

v